What is a Noise Generator?
In this article, we will see about noise generator in performance testing and its purpose. Recently HP has released its latest version of LoadRunner 12.02 with the capability of adding noise generation in the Controller.
We can follow two approaches while testing the performance of the application: with noise generation and without noise generation. Typical tests with complex business scenarios, actions, transactions, etc. would be without noise generation.
Along with a complex business scenarios, actions, transactions, if you add a small load of GET request of the core URL that you are testing creates a noise in the background. This is called Noise Generator.
How to add Noise Generator to your script in LoadRunner?
Follow the below steps to add a noise generator to the scenario:
- Launch Controller
- In Design tab, right click on the script and select Add Script as shown below.
- Select Use a Noise Generator script accessing the following URL: and enter the URL under test as shown below.
- Click on OK.
Script path will be automatically added with the prefix “Noise_”. If you see the details of the script, you could see the script type as Noise as shown below.
Advantages of Noise Generator
- No need to script the flow
- One click settings
- No specific configuration is required
Please note that you need to pay one tenth of the price of a regular virtual user.
- Measuring Client-side performance using Performance APIs - September 19, 2017
- Unboxing HPE LoadRunner 12.55 - August 20, 2017
- Measure Client-side Performance using Lighthouse - August 10, 2017
- Perf Calculator – free iOS app for performance testers - July 16, 2017
- How to performance test AngularJS or ReactJS applications? - June 25, 2017