Object Spy helps QTP engineers to learn the objects in the application under test (AUT). By simple click on the object, Object Spy displays Properties and Operations of Native and Identification objects. Below is the snapshot of Agent Name text box identification properties and its value which are captured using Object Spy.
[auto_thumb width=”150″ height=”150″ link=”” lightbox=”true” align=”left” title=”Object Spy Window – QAInsights” alt=”Object Spy Window – QAInsights” iframe=”false” frame=”true” crop=”true”] http://qainsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Object-Spy-Tips-and-Tricks-Object-Spy-Windos.png [/auto_thumb]
How to invoke object spy?
Navigate to Tools > Object Spy…
How to learn objects using Object Spy?
First, activate the AUT window which has the objects to learn. Then click on hand icon in the Object Spy window as shown above. Your mouse pointer turns into hand icon. Simply click on the object that you want to learn.
Object Spy window displays its properties and methods as shown above.
What are the issues you face when you use Object Spy?
When using Object Spy, sometimes, you may not able to click on the desired object. Following section addresses Object Spy issues for hassle free object identification.
How to troubleshoot?
- To change the window focus in the AUT and to perform operations like right-click, scroll bars hold CTRL key and then perform operations.
- If the window containing the object is partially hidden, move your mouse pointer over hidden window, after few seconds hidden window will become active. Navigate to Tools > Options > General pane to configure the time as shown below.
[auto_thumb width=”150″ height=”150″ link=”” lightbox=”true” align=”left” title=”Object Spy – Tips and Tricks – Tools General Options” alt=”Object Spy – Tips and Tricks – Tools General Options” iframe=”false” frame=”true” crop=”true”] http://qainsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Object-Spy-Tips-and-Tricks-Tools-General-Options.jpg [/auto_thumb]
- If the window containing the object is completely hidden, hold left CTRL key to change the window focus.
- If the window containing the object is minimized, hold the left CTRL key, right-click on the application in the Windows task bar, and then choose Restore from the menu.
If you use Object Spy in the Select Object for Step dialog box, QuickTest will add an object to your test. When you click the pointing hand, QuickTest is hidden, enabling you to view the entire desktop.
[auto_thumb width=”150″ height=”150″ link=”” lightbox=”true” align=”left” title=”Object Spy – Tips and Tricks – Select Test Object” alt=”Object Spy – Tips and Tricks – Select Test Object” iframe=”false” frame=”true” crop=”true”] http://qainsights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Object-Spy-Tips-and-Tricks-Select-Test-Object.png [/auto_thumb]
Thanks for visiting QAInsights!
We’re always posting interesting articles on QAInsights. I request you to subscribe so you don’t miss out anything.
- How to performance test AngularJS or ReactJS applications? - June 25, 2017
- How to run Apache JMeter tests with Visual Studio Team Services? - June 6, 2017
- Google Test Automation Conference – GTAC 2017 - June 2, 2017
- What’s new in StormRunner 2.5? - June 1, 2017
- Must have Apache JMeter Plugins - May 19, 2017